Shots in The Dark -- Henry Mancini Tribute
The spys are back with this incredible tribute to the master of movie scores --Henry Mancini. This is one of the best tribute albums ever released. The songs are played in a variety of styles, with 16 instrumentals and four vocals.
Henry Mancini's songs remain theoretically intact but are presented in such a different context, mostly a hard edged, surf rock reverb guitar meets late 50's space-age, bachelor-pad swing sound, that it instantly became one of the most ambitious tribute albums ever contemplated.
There are plenty of musical quirks that would seem absurd but work to perfection: a laughing clown (don't ask) in the midst of "The Pink Panther Theme", a "space phone" (again, don't ask) on "Lonesome", and best of all, actual vintage NASA transmissions floating through the mesmerizing "Dreamsville". Each group went out on a limb with their interpretations and somehow it pulled together to form a cohesive and deviously entertaining whole.
It's hard to pick a favorite, because there are so many good tracks here, but special mention has to go to Nan Vernon, who sings an absolutely mesmerizing version of "Moon River". There is also an unlisted bonus track where she sings the song in Japanese. I highly recommend this CD.
1. Banzai Pipeline - The Boardwalker 2. Baby Elephant Walk - The Jigsaw Seen
3. Peter Gunn Theme - Poison Ivy (Of The Cramps) 4. Charade (Instrumental) - The Blue Hawaiians 5. Something For Cat - Four Piece Suit 6. Mr. Lucky - Elliot Easton's Tiki Gods
7. The Pink Panther Theme - Oranj Symphonette 8. Lonesome - Friends Of Dean Martinez
9. The Party - The Wondermints 10. Monkey Farm - The Tiki Tones
11. A Shot In The Dark - Whiskey Biscuit 12. Touch Of Evil - Man or Astroman?
13. Days Of Wine And Roses - Wonderful World Of Joey
14. Dreamsville - Br. Cleve & His Lush Orchestra
15. Push The Button, Max! - Del Noah & The Mt. Ararat Finks
16. Charade (Vocal) - Farina 17. Mr. Yunioshi - Insect Surfers
18. Arabesque - The Huntington Cads 19. Experiment In Terror - Davie Allan & The Arrows
20. Moon River - Nan Vernon 21. Moon River – Nan Vernon (Japanese)
The roots of the Groove Hawks
7 months ago